Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Carleton University Student One of Canada's Most Powerful Women



Carleton University Student Samina Hashmi Voted One of Canada's Most Powerful Women

November 21 , 2006

(Ottawa)—Today at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, Carleton Engineering student, Samina Hashmi, was voted one of Canada’s most powerful women by the Women’s Executive Network. WXN is Canada's leading organization dedicated to the advancement and recognition of executive-minded women in the workplace.


The WXN Top 100 Awards is a symbol of the success women have attained and represents a unique array of proven achievers from many walks of life. An independent advisory board selected winners in eight categories. Hashmi won in the Future Leaders category.

Samina Hashmi

My Carleton professors have been incredible mentors and role models who have taught me how to balance academics with my other interests. So when I decided that I wanted to broaden my academic experience by tapping into Carleton's connections with a number of external organizations and companies, they supported me the whole way.

Through Engineers without Borders, a national charity that aims to help people in developing communities gain access to technologies to better their lives, I volunteered to go to a drought-ridden region of Ghana to help local farmers for four months. I learned that if the farmers don't get enough rain, they don't have enough food for the entire year to feed their family. To help address this problem, I worked on a soil fertility project and helped sow the seeds of a locally grown plant that will increase nitrogen levels in the soil.

That experience not only strengthened my passion in international development, but also made me realize there is so much we can do from Canada, such as buying fair trade products. But I wasn't sure if engineering was still the best fit for my newly discovered passion. One of my professors, John Buschek, made me realize that the skills I'm developing in engineering are transferable to international development-effective problem solving! His advice and guidance was incredibly helpful.

I've become actively involved with Engineers Without Borders and recently co-chaired the 2006 national conference, which was attended by more than 500 delegates from across Canada. I was very humbled to receive the Engineers Without Borders Canada Volunteer of the Year Award and the Ottawa YWCA's 2005 Young Trail Builders Award for raising awareness of issues related to international development.

It's really exciting to know that I already have job prospects when I graduate. My work with Engineers Without Borders has given me the chance to meet with engineering companies and executives who have expressed an interest in hiring me. But for now, I want some more practical experience and hope to return to Africa for a longer period of time. More time there means more time to learn, give back, and make a lasting contribution.

Web Links:
Engineers Without Borders - Carleton Chapter www.carleton.ewb.ca

Engineers Without Borders - National Chapter www.ewb.ca

Posted by:

Francisco Ucan Marin, Carleton University